This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

sass minification too slow - caching?

Oct 2, 2013 at 5:23 AM
Hi,
I use sass files minified by BundleTransformer with MicrosoftAjax configuration (got it into my project via Nuget).
I noticed that minification happens every time I rebuild the project or update web.config, most probably when app Cache gets lost. This line:
@Styles.Render("~/bundles/css/bundle-style")
adds about 17 seconds to the page rendering time when the project is recompiled. If it happens often it becomes a bit annoying and reduces productivity. More importantly in production if app pool gets released by IIS the very next user request will result in a very long response time.

Is there any way to cache the minified sass/css file so it gets created only once, stored e.g. in the App_Data folder and then served to all user requests regardless of whether app Cache is available or not?
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Hello, Eop!

This feature cannot be realised. Bundle Transformer is responsible only for the asset transformation, but everything else (include caching) is responsible the Microsoft ASP.NET Web Optimization Framework.

Minification takes a little time, and most of the time is spent on translation of Sass/SCSS code. Unfortunately, the IronRuby library is working very slow.
Oct 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Thanks a lot for the insights - very helpful. The current sass transformation performance is pretty much unacceptable, I'll look at any other options available.
Coordinator
Nov 12, 2015 at 11:02 AM
Hello, Eop!

In Bundle Transformer 1.9.81 due to the transition to libSass has been significantly increased performance of BundleTransformer.SassAndScss.
Marked as answer by Taritsyn on 3/9/2016 at 3:27 AM
Nov 17, 2015 at 9:35 PM
Thank you! The performance improvement is fantastic!