This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

A Non-minifying bundle

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I am wondering if there is any bundler implementation that can server all of the javascript in a non minified bundle.

I have an embedded widget that loads a script with all of the functionality so I can only load one script onto the page to implement my logic and I am using a Bundle to handle the combining of the files but in a dev environment I would like to debug against a non minified version of the bundle. Are there any of the bundlers that can be used that will still combine the files but not minify them.
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM
You need this only for debugging?
Jun 21, 2013 at 4:04 AM
I was wondering almost the same thing.

How do you guys are doing for debug and at production bundle and minify the js because
In order to debug I am using this code on the page
<script src="Scripts/Model/Product.js"></script>
<script src="Scripts/ProductsController.js"></script>
<script src="Scripts/AppView.js"></script>
but at production I have to bundle and minify so I use something linke this

<script src="Scripts/Model/js"></script> // and this joins the 3 files minified

the thing is I am sure that there is a simpler way of doing that because I have to manually change every build.

Unfortunately I did not see any tutorial or anybody talking about that, how can I do this ?
Coordinator
Jun 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Before starting work with the Bundle Transformer learn how to work with Microsoft ASP.NET Web Optimization Framework.

I recommend you start from reading chapter “Bundling and Minification” of the ASP.NET MVC 4 tutorial. And then you can already proceed to read the Bundle Transformer documentation.
Jun 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM
So just to wrap this up I found I was able to get the desired effect, that is of having a non-minified bundle by clearing out all the transformations on the bundle.

i.e.

myBundle.Transforms.Clear();
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 5:50 PM
You didn't try just switch web application to debug mode?
<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.0" />
    </system.web>
</configuration>
or
BundleTable.EnableOptimizations = false;
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Not make sense to use the following code:
myBundle.Transforms.Clear();
When you can create a bundle as follows:
var myBundle = new Bundle("~/myBundle");
It seems to me that you don't read the documentation.