This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Switch to node.js for transformations?

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I've been looking at the following project: https://github.com/duncansmart/LessCoffee

Seems to me their way of using node.js in the project, which allows them to automatically update to and run the latest version of LESS, would be of great use to the Bundle Transformer project. This instead of relying on JavascriptEngineSwitcher and manually doing updates of the LESS library (and other things?).

Anyway, just a suggestion for something to look into.
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Hello, Nettsentrisk!

I have watched this project. This mechanism seemed to me a little excessive.

Why translate LESS-files on the web server by using Node.js? In this case, it is more efficient translation of LESS-files to CSS during build of the project by using the Web Essentials or Grunt.

Bundle Transformer has its own unique way!
Nov 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Well, you would replace the Javascript Engine you currently use with the Node.js, I was thinking. That way it would be possible to automatically get the latest version of LESS (and perhaps other things too, like sass?) and wouldn't need to rely on the V8 or MSIE engines any longer.
Coordinator
Nov 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM
node.exe it is an external dependency. Not everyone is will to install NodeJS on the web server.
Nov 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM
What's the difference between nodejs being in the project or any number of nuget packages? Aren't they all external dependencies? JavascriptEngine Switcher, and the V8 or MSIE engines, aren't they external dependencies?

I guess I'm not seeing the difference between those and using NodeJS. The latter allows for more flexibility and more automatic updating of the frameworks that are being relied upon, such as LESS. Wouldn't it make your job easier? :)
Coordinator
Nov 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM
There are differences, they are very significant. About flexibility, you are mistaken.

Discussion is closed.
Nov 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM
OK, was just a suggestion :)