This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

unicode characters in Sass files

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Edited Jun 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Hi there. Found your project; looks great! I'm doing some preliminary testing, and one thing I've noticed is that the final stylesheet doesn't seem to have proper Unicode encoding. I'm not sure where it breaks down, but I've saved all my .scss files as UTF-8 with byte-order-mark.

Here's an example, using the interrobang (code point U+203D):
@mixin add-incredulity {
    &:after {
        content: "‽";

.incredulous {
    @include add-incredulity;
It compiles correctly, but instead of getting ‽ at the end of all elements with the .incredulous class, I get two ASCII characters.

Is there any way of explicitly setting the encoding of the compiled CSS file? I know I could just use
    content: "\203D";
but using the actual Unicode characters is much more clear for someone reading through the stylesheet. I tried explicitly putting
    @charset "UTF-8";
at the beginning of the stylesheet, and I even checked the charset in the response header, and it's all good. So something in the pipeline must be reprocessing that Unicode character into two ASCII characters.
Jan 29, 2014 at 8:50 PM
I am having the same problem. This would be great to have fixed.
Jan 31, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Unfortunately, I can not find a solution to this problem.
Feb 4, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Hello, Paul and Jdecock!

In BundleTransformer.SassAndScss 1.8.20 fixed this error.
Feb 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM
Wow, thanks! I'm not working with BundleTransformer right now (stuck on the MVC3 version of our project with Cassette for the time being) but I'll be happy to test it out soon.